Coign Legends Match Reports

Find below the latest Coign Legends match report or click from the list of other recent reports 

Sunninghill v Legends 11/03/17
Legends take on Sunninghill in the defence of the Vets League Cup More ...
Legends v Stonechurch 25/2/17
Why is it always Stonechurch? More ...
Coign Legends v Refresh 18/2/17
With 3 games to go, in 2nd place in the league, can the Vets make it to the top! More ...
Coign Vets v Sunninghill 4/2/17
A complete turnaround from the last match for the Coign Vets More ...

Sunninghill v COIGN LEGENDS

Sunninghill 2- 2 Coign Legends

On Saturday, the Legends travelled the short distance to Camberley to play their first game in the defence of the Vets League Cup. As winners of the competition for the last 2 years, we are naturally seen as the team to beat. As such, our opponents took to the field with a much changed and stronger side than when we beat them 7-0 in the league, just a few short weeks ago.
From the off, the Legends found it a little tricky to adjust to the very narrow pitch; which had the effect of stifling our natural passing game. Our opponents of course, being used to the conditions, made full use and, whilst having good players in midfield, quite often launched the ball forward for a front runner to chase. Indeed, it took just 8 minutes before this tactic bore fruit when a long ball down their right wing was crossed in to the centre-forward, who smashed the ball home from close range. This seemed to galvanise the Legends who started to get their game together, creating a number of opportunities before, after 16 minutes a neat pass from the advancing Mick Collis found Mark Healy with his back to goal on the edge of their penalty area. In one movement, Mark controlled the ball, turned and fired the ball across the keeper to register the equaliser.
Sadly, although further chances were created, we were unable to make good on them and a quarter of an hour later, another long ball down the middle was latched onto by the Sunninghill forward, who fired it home past the advancing Vass in our goal.
At half-time we felt that we’d adjusted to the pitch pretty well and were confident of getting back into the game. A change of formation from a back 3 to a back 4, seemed to help and our opponents struggled to make use of the long ball that had served them so well in the first half.

For long periods of the game, we had the upper hand, but it wasn’t until the 73rd minute that the long overdue equaliser was scored. Some wonderfully determined play from Mark Healy enabled him to rob their mid-fielder of the ball. Mark turned, looked up and crossed a wonderful ball to Robbie Nurse, who’s header was only parried by the keeper, right into the path of the grateful Darren Clifton to finish from close range.

With our opponents tiring, observers felt that it would just be a matter of time before the Legends found the winner but, sadly, it wasn’t to be.

Overall, a well contested game which, whilst we could’ve won, see’s us well and truly in the running to get to the final for the 3rd year in a row.

Jon Bloomfeld, 14/03/2017